Petersfield High Street North

Part of front cover designed by Edward Grainger for Petersfield Monographs No. 2 entitled ‘High Street Petersfield’.

One hundred years ago during early March 1917, men from 891 Company Army Service Corp motor transport section were billeted in Petersfield together with their lorries and equipment. They stayed for three months before leaving on Friday 25 May.

Formed at the start of January that year to supply ammunition to 67 Infantry Division, 891 Company was short-lived and disbanded in mid-June after just six months. The men were amalgamated into other companies.

During their time in the town, the soldiers integrated well with local people making much use of the Petersfield soldiers’ canteen in St Peter’s Hall. Whist drives and concerts were arranged to entertain friends and lady helpers, to whom they presented a photograph of the company as a reminder of their time in Petersfield.

This picture, taken from the south eastern side of the Square, clearly indicates the soldiers and their transport but it also provides a very rare glimpse of the gap in the buildings behind on the western side caused by the demolition of the Tudor Castle House in January 1914. The gap was closed during the 1920s with the building of the Post Office and bank which still stand today.

Petersfield Area Historical Society News

Photographing the town

During the past two years a major redevelopment, by 6a Vision has taken place on the site of Holders Yard and the old engine house in Station Road. This includes seven new homes and the regeneration of the two original buildings on the site, the barn (parts of which date back to 1750) and the engine house, which is the building attached to the chimney.

There are only two such chimneys left in Petersfield, following the removal of the third one relatively recently. This one is now here to stay as an important feature of the site, and the town’s history. These neglected buildings have been given a new lease of life and will be here for future generations.

The housing development is now called Clarendon Close.

Engine House, Holders Yard 2015

Holders Yard 2018

How To Join

Contact us for an application form. Membership costs £12 per person or £17 per couple. This includes eight meetings per year with a speaker and five optional meetings of the Society’s Archaeological Group. You will also receive a copy of the Society’s twice-yearly bulletin.

Petersfield Museum

Petersfield Museum

Visit the Petersfield Museum to see some of the archival work PAHS has undertaken.

Musical Festival

Petersfield Musical Festival Petersfield Musical Festival has entertained the town with choral music for over 100 years.

Physic Garden

fritillaryThe Physic Garden is open daily except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s day. Check the website for times. Entrance is free.

People of the Heath

People of the Heath Visit People of the Heath for more on the excavation of the Petersfield Heath barrows.